Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Jersey Shore

                As an educated Christian man, the topic of the “Jersey Shore” television series is not something that I am familiar with. However, I cannot pretend to have never watched it, and I must say that I do not agree with many of the things that they talk about or associate themselves with on that show! I see them influencing many people much like I did. But of course their influences on society are not as wonderful as mine were.                  
                 I always hear about Snookie, J-wow, the ‘Situation’, Vinny, Ronnie, Sammie, and Paulie D (all preposterous name if I do say so myself), doing certain things that I do very strongly disagree with. I disagree with their alcohol and drug use the most. Because of my faith, I believe that it is not right to abuse the privileges that you are given, however; I also believe that you have the free will to guide yourself in the direction that you want to go. If God gives us the privilege of free will then we should be appreciative not abuse it, as those hooligans do!
                Also, I disagree with what all the male members of the group do at these so-called “clubs”. They treat women terribly and give them strange nicknames like ‘grenades’ if they don’t fit their own specific what they call beautiful qualifications. They take different women back to their home each night and partake in an action of which I do not approve or wish to speak. Because of my Christian faith, again, I don’t believe that this is appropriate at all. I have two children and I feel that everyone should have families and treat women with the respect do of their positions. I do not wish to put down these behaviors in all forms, for it is only natural that a man should be satisfied, but only for those who are contributing to society! The methods by which these men go about wooing mates are simply wrong.  
                There are few things I must commend the Jersey Shore members like their independent nature that I also have. They leave their home towns for three months over the summer and go to a new location with new people. I feel as though that would not be an easy task for anyone, and I acknowledge them on their effort to engage in such an independent act, which I know first-hand from my frequent travels for my studies, can be difficult indeed. Also, despite their detestable behavior I know some of the cast to be Catholic Christians who probably follow my fundamental, philosophical, and theological Latin traditions from my texts. Maybe, once they are finished with their wild behaviors, they will study me to learn about their Catholic heritage which will, as I believe, lead them to repent.

1 comment: